Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 4 Challenge: The Happiest Place On Earth


I am SO excited for what is coming up in my classroom/ at my school in the next few weeks!

Next week, we will be having Doreen Rappaport visit our school! I cannot wait for my 6th graders to engage in her presentation. We are currently reading her book Jack's Path to Courage about President Kennedy and will be followed by Dirt on Their Skirts about women in baseball. We are so fortunate to work/attend a school that afford us these opportunities. I am honored to also be attending a luncheon for Ms. Rappaport where I can get books signed and engage in conversation with her about her career and impact on children.

After vacation, which is over 2 weeks down the road, we will be discussing the organization TOMS and will hopefully be participating in the One-for-One challenge. Many of my students wear TOMS, but I have a feeling they don't know the full story behind the organization...why did it start? what is the benefit?

I look forward to answering these questions (and more) with my students.

I constantly tell my students how fortunate they are to attend our school and as they have matured throughout the year, I can see that they are beginning to realize this as well. While my school is not perfect, I really have never been happier in any other setting working with children. I am so lucky to be appreciated by my coworkers, administrators, parents and most importantly students! To me, my school is the happiest place on Earth!!!

P.S.- How many days until field day!?!

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky and so are you students! What a great opportunity to learn more about an organization that they are familiar with in a meaningful, personal way....hopefully they can connect to the cause and reflect on their role as consumers and perhaps even activists in the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee...I just looked up the TOMS challenge - how wonderful...and what an exciting spring you have in store for you!

    ReplyDelete