Monday, January 21, 2013

The Shocking "Tale" of Greek Mythology in My 6th Grade Classroom

Oh, Fridays. How typical my students behave on Fridays... I think you can imagine how a room (full) of 10, (yes 10) 6th graders for a double period of Language Arts acts on a Friday. Granted they are only 10, 11, and 12 years old but this week wore me out since they couldn't seem to follow a single direction; seriously; they didn't. Everything was repeated and each student was "personally invited" to complete all tasks.

"So and so, take out your planner. So and so #2, write down the homework. So and so #3 make sure you are writing in the LA section of your planner. No so and so #4 you may not go get a drink since you just had 10 minutes for snack. So and so #5 I specifically said do NOT hand in the Pandora's Box myth. Yes, so and so #6 keep the Pandora's Box myth on your desk. So and so #7, it is not story time. So and so #8, turn around and put your feet on the floor. So and so #9 please stop tapping your pencil. So and so #10, I have asked you twice to get into dresscode so please  do it now."

Typical. All of the above; personal invitations.

Friday was no different. Let's call him #4 (because alphabetically he falls 4th on my class roster) is a total, lovable goofball who keeps me on my feet. And like I said, Friday was no different. Sitting in the second row, all the way to the left, I saw a perplexed look on his face as we read the Greek myth, "Echo and Narcissus." All of the students could infer why those names were fitting, and they all understood the theme of not being overly self-centered. But, #4 was confused. I mean really confused; brows furrowed, biting his bottom lip confused. At the conclusion of the lesson I asked, "Are there any questions?" (Hoping #4 would speak up.) And boy, did he ever...

#4: "Umm, Ms. Singleton, question."
ME: "Yes, #4."
#4: "Since Narcissus fell in love with himself, does that mean he is gay?"

CRICKETS... (and the worried expressions on the faces of #1-#3, #5-10, my assistant teacher and likely my own)

MANY thoughts crossed my mind. How do I address this with 6th graders? Do they all know what "gay" means" They have to know what gay means... but what if they don't? Is this appropriate? Wait, how am I going to answer this question...I don't know the answer!!

Then I did what all good teachers are forced to do (practically everyday). I thought on my feet.

Me:"Well #4, that's a great question. Did Narcissus know he fell in love with himself?"
#4: "No."
Me: "So is it possible that he thought his reflection was that of a girl?"
#4: "Yeah maybe..."
Me: "So can we really be sure he is gay?"
#4: "No..."
Me: "I agree. Excellent question though!"


And there it is. A typical Friday. A typical Friday because deeper thinking and higher order questions were present. A typical Friday because the kids were so entranced by the myth. A typical Friday because we are a safe learning environment where kids are free to ask questions, even when they (or others) may be uncomfortable. A typical Friday because learning occurred, even though we were all checked out.

Oh, Fridays, how I love thee.

1 comment:

  1. And there it is. A typical Friday. A typical Friday because deeper thinking and higher order questions were present. A typical Friday because the kids were so entranced by the myth. Oh those are 10 lucky children in your class exploring Greek Myths and life in an environment where they are 1)encouraged to ask questions even when they (or others) may be uncomfortable; 2) learning all week long; 3) challenged to think deeply about whatever is on the learning table at the moment.
    I am sure Peter Johnston is proud of you!

    ReplyDelete